SGAI Test Syllabus, Sample Papers, Exam Date, Results
Students Global Aptitude Index
The CBSE SGAI Assessment 2011 will now be conducted on 22.01.2011 instead of 15.01.2011.
The last date for the online registration for CBSE Students Global Aptitude Index Assessment has now been extended upto 15th November 2010. The print out of filled in online registration form (Hard copy) duly signed and attested by the Principal may be submitted of the Board along with the requisite fee.
CBSE has designed a tool named as the Students Global Aptitude Index (SGAI) to measure the aptitude in combination with the interest.
The Aptitude reflects the inherent capacity, talent or ability of a child. Aptitude testing is a student-friendly, universally accepted mode of rating capabilities for a particular activity. Aptitude tests are known to be reliable predictors of future scholastic achievement as they provide a profile of strengths and weaknesses of a student.
Highlights of CBSE Students Global Aptitude Index (SGAI)
Although a variety of aptitude screening tests are already in vogue to help the student identify personal interests and vocations, yet:-
- SGAI is a battery of Aptitude Tests which also combines Interest profile of a student.
- It has been customized to suit the Indian context and variety of student population in CBSE affiliated Private, Government and Aided Schools.
- Unlike the conventional Aptitude Tests, which indicate professional orientations the CBSE SGAI will indicate subject orientations at +2 level.
- The CBSE SGAI is meant for students of secondary classes. This coincides with the onset of adolescence and beginning of career concepts (although not in the concrete form). It is therefore crucial to give a road map to the child which is realistic and favorable.
- SGAI is aimed to empower a child with “self knowledge” in terms of the Aptitude and Interest, to enable the child in making informed subjects choices.
- Since CBSE SGAI purports to reduce the mismatch between the Aptitude and the Interest it will further help in :
- Optimizing the child potential and enhance satisfaction
- Increasing motivation
- Reducing wastage of human and financial resources
SGAI : DESCRIPTION
CBSE SGAI is a battery of tests, designed for students pursuing class X in CBSE affiliated schools. It is a simple paper and pencil test, which requires approximately 2 – 21/2 hours. Due care has been taken to make the assessment and interpretation less complicated for the teachers. The assessment broadly indicates:
- Scientific Aptitude
- Numerical Aptitude
- Social Aptitude
- Behavioral Science Aptitude
- Art Aptitude and
- Interest areas
A random survey was conducted in schools by devising a questionnaire to primarily gauge whether the schools, parents and students were aware of Aptitude Tests, at what stage should these tests be conducted and parents attitude towards Aptitude Tests.
The responses received were studied by a group comprising of psychiatrists, psychologists, experts in Psychometrics and practicing counselors It was decided to construct a battery of Aptitude Tests and an Interest test which will be customized to suit the CBSE clientele.
THE PILOT TEST
The CBSE SGAI has been pilot tested on a sample of secondary level students drawn from 100 CBSE affiliated Private, Government and Aided Schools from different parts of the country.
PRE- TRIAL TEACHER TRAINING AND ORIENTATION
- Six orientation workshops were conducted between November -December to orient and train two teachers and one counselor from the selected schools
- These workshops were held in Delhi, Bhopal Bhubaneswar, Hyderabad, Chandigarh and Mumbai.
- The participants were made aware of the rationale and the actual conduct of the test batteries. The details of scoring were also discussed with the participants.
- Time lines were given to the schools to conduct the test and send the responses to the board for analysis by Jan 2010.
- The results obtained were put to item analysis done by a specialized agency and based on that changes were made in the test.
TRAINING AND ADVOCACY MATERIAL
For the mental preparedness and climate building, Training Manuals, Literature and FAQ’s for parents and students were prepared to generate awareness about Aptitude and benefits of Assessment.
THE MICRO PILOT TEST
After the analysis of first trial and the Pre and Post trial feedback from participating teachers and counselors, the test was modified and put to a second micro trial to ascertain the efficacy.
The CBSE SGAI is finally ready for launch after rigorous process of standardization.
CBSE- SGAI can be taken in class X to know the students preference for subjects after class X. However, it should be taken only as an indicator or a facilitator. The test will help the larger population including parents, teachers and students to initiate a dialogue on subject choices leading to careers ahead in life .However, the results of SGAI taken together with the student’s assessment from other sources will ultimately help students and parents in making informed choices. Mental preparedness and sincere responses are the pre- requisites for this test. SGAI scores may depend upon child’s environmental stimulus and motivation level.
The option of using the CBSE SGAI rests with the schools, however for those interested, the board will conduct training workshops to familiarize the principals and teachers with this new concept as well as its administration. These principals, teachers and counselors will in turn advocate and educate students and parents about the CBSE SGAI. Since it is not feasible to cover all schools in one go, the training workshops will be conducted in a phased manner. The details of the training programs along with the dates and venues will be intimated in due course of time.
CALENDER OF ACTIVITIES
The option of using the CBSE SGAI rests with the schools, however for those interested, the board will design calendar of activities to be undertaken prior to the conduct Training workshops to familiarize the principals and teachers with this new concept as well as its administration may also be conducted on-/ off-line These principals, teachers and counsellors will in turn advocate and educate students and parents about the CBSE SGAI. The details of the training programs along with the dates and venues will be intimated in due course of time.
ENROLMENT FOR CBSE SGAI
- The CBSE SGAI will be offered to those interested at a very nominal fee of Rs.100 (one hundred) per student only.
- The first ever CBSE Students Global Aptitude Test will be held for class X students tentatively on
22nd January 2011.
- The principals may assess the number of class X students who would be interested to enroll for this activity and thereafter register online at http://www.cbserod.net.in/exmnr/sgai.aspx
- Schools may register online at www.cbse.nic.in by 25th September 2011positively.
- Schools may fill up registration form carefully as this registration will be one time.
- After on-line registration confirmation page may be downloaded andattached while sen ding the DD to the undersigned.
- Fee without conformation page will not be entertained.
- The fee via Demand Draft in the name of Secretary, CBSE payable at Delhi along with confirmation page may be sent by 10th October 2011 positively to:,
Rama Sharma, PRO & Project Incharge
Central Board of Secondary Education
Shiksha Kendra, 2, Community Centre,
Tele Fax- 011-22440083
Copy with a request to respective Heads of Directorates/KVS/NVS/CTSA as indicated below to also disseminate the information to all concerned schools
under their jurisdiction:
1. The Commissioner, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan, 18-Institutional Area, Shaheed Jeet Singh Marg, New Delhi-110 016.
2. The Commissioner, Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, A-28, Kailash Colony, New Delhi.
3. The Director of Education, Directorate of Education, Govt. of NCT of Delhi, Old Secretariat, Delhi-110 054.
4. The Director of Public Instructions (Schools), Union Territory Secretariat, Sector 9, Chandigarh-160 017.
5. The Director of Education, Govt. of Sikkim, Gangtok, Sikkim – 737 101.
6. The Director of School Education, Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh, Itanagar- 791 111.
7. The Director of Education, Govt. of A&N Islands, Port Blair-744 101.
8. Director of Education, SIE, CBSE Cell, VIP Road, Junglee Ghat, PO 744103, A&L Island.
9. The Secretary, Central Tibetan School Administration, ESS ESS Plaza, Community Centre, Sector 3, Rohini, Delhi-110 085.
10. All the Regional Officers of CBSE with the request to send this circular to all the Heads of the affiliated schools of the Board in their respective regions.
11. The Education Officers/AEOs of the Academic Branch, CBSE.
12. The Joint Secretary (IT) with the request to put this circular on the CBSE website and arrange for On-line registration / confirmation.
13. The Library and Information Officer, CBSE.
14. E.O. to Chairman, CBSE.
15. PA’s to all HOD’s.
16. Guard file.